General information


Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn. They can affect their:

  •        behaviour or ability to socialise, for example they struggle to make friends
  •        reading and writing, for example because they have dyslexia
  •        ability to understand things
  •        concentration levels, for example because they have ADHD
  •        physical ability

The process

For information about the process and the different levels of support available for a child with SEND, please click on the SEND flow chart attached below. It is really important to note that the most effective support that can be offered to a child with SEND is that offered by the class teacher and other adults in their class. This should always be your first point of contact if you have any concerns.

Who to talk to

If you think your child may have special educational needs, in the first place please contact your child's class teacher to discuss your concerns, who will then coordinate with the SEN co-ordinator.

The SEN co-ordinator, or ‘SENCO’, is Jo Turner jturner@newnhamcroft.cambs.sch.uk

Your local Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service can also give you advice about SEND.

Support your child can receive

Your child may be eligible for:

  • SEN support - support given in school, like group or individual interventions (see local offer and overview of provision). SEN support will be delivered through an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which is reviewed termly
  • an education, health and care (EHC) plan - a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs. These are annually reviewed with external involvement and parents are updated on progress termly in the same way as an IEP

Link to Cambridgeshire SEND www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/SEND

Information for Cambridgeshire parents with children and young people with SEND: www.pinpoint-cambs.org.uk/